Any time you’re doing physical activity, it’s important to feed your body the right fuel, but especially when it comes to dancing. Dance classes require lots of focus, energy, and strength. Eating a healthy snack before class can help with energy levels, attention spans, muscle soreness, muscle conditioning, preventing cramps, and more.
Here are some snacks that are great fuel for dancing bodies:
• Peanut butter and banana :: The potassium in a banana helps with muscle soreness, and the peanut butter provides protein for energy.
• Apple with cheese :: Fresh fruit provides water and glucose that your body burns during class, and cheese is a great protein.
• Veggies with a yogurt dip :: Vitamin-packed vegetables and protein from the yogurt create steady energy levels.
• A small smoothie :: Find something made with real fruit and yogurt, not a bunch of sugar.
• Nuts and dried fruit :: Raisins can be a great source of potassium and nuts provide protein.
• Deli meats and hard-boiled eggs :: Both are a great and easy source of protein.
And make sure to drink plenty of water! Hydrating after class flushes out toxins, helps with muscle soreness, and prevents dehydration.
Here are some things to avoid:
- Candy :: Causes sugar highs and crashes
- Soda :: Causes dehydration and has too much sugar
- Fried Foods :: Can cause an upset stomach, bloating, or gas
- Not eating :: Causes fatigue and is hard on the body and mind during dance
Take some time each week to load up on healthy snacks in your dance bag, and your body will thank you!